SSI Assistant Instructor is the natural progression from Divemaster. Devoted Dive Professionals motivated to share their love of diving will find the Assistant Instructor program exactly what they are looking for: actual teaching and assisting! This program teaches you how to teach and the responsibility for others. under supervision you will gain first hand experience in both the classroom and pool. Assistant Instructor is the necessary foundation for teaching on your own and becoming an SSI Open Water instructor
- Minimum Age: 18
- Candidate Prerequisites: Divemaster or equivalent rating, 60 logged dives totalling 40 hours or more
- Completion requirements: 75 logged Dives, totalling 50 hours or more, complete and pass all requirements and evaluations.
- Academic Sessions: Varies
- Pool/Confined Water Sessions: Varies
- Maximum Training Depth: 5 meters
- Suggested Duration: 35 - 42 hours
You will be sent an e-mail allowing access to the SSI online academics. You can use a computer or any digital device to login, update your profile and start the learning process. The multimedia academics with videos and multiple choice questions keep learning fun and ensure you are perfectly prepared for your water sessions. We can also work with individual candidates depending on their needs.
Usually our Assistant Instructor candidates complete the course with us as an internship with progress led by your availability and commitment. However, we are also able to offer the course as an intensive 6 day program.
There are academic sessions at our Dive Centre learning the role of an Assistant instructor, such as how to conduct individual skills training and plan a whole session, legal and safety applications, the components of a skill briefing, demonstration, evaluation, development and debrief. You will also learn how to teach the academics portion of the Open Water Diver course. You must pass the Final Exam with a passing score of 90%.
Pool sessions are at Harvey Hadden Sports Village on Friday evenings at 7:15pm. This is where we will develop your dive skills, rescue skills as well as the practical teaching of students. This involves role playing, observations and evaluations. There are 7 practical application portions of the course to complete. You must also pass a Water Fitness Evaluation.
All sessions are followed with a thorough debriefing and discussion about your performance helping you learn. On successful completion, you will be issued with a certificate of completion and a digital recognition rating (via MySSI App).
In addition to the programs taught by active status Divemaster, Assistant Instructors may also teach
- Scuba Rangers
- Try Scuba
- Scuba Skills Updates
- Perfect Buoyancy Specialty.
Assistant Instructors may also
- Teach the Open Water Diver academic and pool/confined water sessions (with the exception of emergency ascent skills) under the indirect supervision of an active status Open Water Instructor.
- Register to become a Specialty Instructor for some SSI Specialty programs.
- Enrol in an Instructor Training Course.
As with all Divemaster Scuba Professional Programs
- Certification lasts for life, however you must maintain Active Status requirements
- As a Dive Professional you should have your own Total Diving System
- All Pool fees are included
- All Air fills are included
- We are committed to your success, if you require more help we are there for you.
Dive professional registration, and course learning fees are payable to direct SSI.
Physical materials for the course are available through the dive centre:
Candidates must have the SSI Instructor Package for this course. The SSI Base Package is also available to candidates who would like to update their Divemaster materials to the latest version of the package.