This program gives you the skills and experience required to safely lead groups of certified divers, and is the first step towards an exciting career as an SSI Dive Professional without requiring you to complete an instructor program. Professional Dive Guides can work for SSI Dive Centres, guiding dives in a variety of environments and conditions. You will earn the SSI Dive Guide certification after completing this program.
- Minimum Age: 15 / 18 for Professional active status
- Certification Prerequisites: Diver Stress & Rescue certification, 40 logged Dives,
- Certification or equivalent experience: Navigation, Night & Limited Visibility, Deep Diving.
- Academic Sessions: Varies
- Pool/Confined Water Sessions: Varies
- Open Water Dives: 10 or at least 50 total
- Maximum Training Depth: 40 meters / 130 feet
- Suggested Duration: 35 - 45 hours
The SSI Dive Guide can be taken as an SSI Recreational Specialty in its own right or as the first program on the Dive Professional career path.
The Recreational Specialty is perfect for the diver who naturally finds themselves as the one others look to to lead a dive. This will equip you with the knowledge and skills to accept the role. You do not have to take the Active Status if you do not wish to be a professional.
The Recreational Specialty can also be taken from the age of 15. We know from experience some of our younger members have completed all other specialties are in limbo until they turn 18 and can become a Dive Pro. Now they can complete the course at 15 and upgrade to Professional status as soon as they turn 18.
You will be sent an e-mail allowing access to the SSI online academics. You can use a computer or any digital device to login, update your profile and start the learning process. The multimedia academics with videos and multiple choice questions keep learning fun and ensure you are perfectly prepared for your water sessions and academic sessions.
Usually our Dive Guide candidates complete the course with us as an internship with progress led by your availability and commitment. However we are also able to offer the course as an intensive 5 day program.
There are academic sessions at our Dive Centre learning the role of a Dive Guide, such as how to be an effective group leader, legal and safety applications, identifying and managing stress, the components of a controlled dive briefing, dive plan and executing that dive. There is a final exam requiring a 90% pass score.
Pool sessions are at Harvey Hadden Sports Village on Friday evenings at 7:15pm. This is where we will develop your dive skills, rescue skills as well as the logistics of leading divers and dive site set up.
Open water is conducted at Stoney Cove or another location You will show that you can perform all the skills you mastered in the classroom and the pool in a real Open Water environment. You will set up a dive site, cater to the needs of a group divers, plan, brief and lead a dive.
All sessions are followed with thorough debriefing and discussion about your performance helping you learn. On successful completion you will be issued with a certificate of completion and a digital recognition rating (via MySSI App).
On successful completion of the program Dive Guides may guide certified divers on recreational scuba dives.
Active status Professional Dive Guides may also:
- Teach the SSI Snorkelling program
- Qualify for the SSI Divemaster rating on completion of the SSI Science of Diving Specialty Program.
As with all Divemaster Scuba Professional Programs
- Certification lasts for life however you must maintain Active Status requirements
- As a Dive Professional you should have your own Total Diving System
- All Pool fees are included
- All Air fills are included
- We are committed to your success, if you require more help we are there for you.
Dive professional registration, and course learning fees are payable to direct SSI.
Physical materials for the course are available through the dive centre:
Candidates must have the SSI Professional Base Package for this course.
The SSI Instructor Package is not required although candidates might choose to have it ready for career development.