The SSI Basic Freediving program is intended to provide students with the necessary skills and knowledge to safely participate in the recreational sport of freediving (breath-hold diving) with an SSI Dive Professional in a pool/confined water environment. You will earn the SSI Basic Freediving certification after completing this program.
- Minimum Age: 10
- Academic Sessions: Online training
- Pool/Confined Water Sessions: Varies, 2 minimum.
- Open Water Dives: None
- Maximum Training Depth: 5 meters / 15 feet
- Suggested Duration: 6 - 8 hours
Summary of program activities:
- Static and dynamic session in the water (no minimum requirement).
- Demonstrate proper breathe-up, relaxation, body positioning and surfacing techniques.
- Freedive with a dive line using bi-fins to maximum depth of five meters, focusing on relaxation, duck diving, equalisation, finning and surfacing techniques.
- Perform a surface blackout rescue.
You will be sent an e-mail allowing access to the SSI online academics. You can use a computer or any digital device to login, update your profile and start the learning process. The multimedia academics with videos and multiple choice questions keep learning fun and ensure you are perfectly prepared for your water sessions.
The pool sessions will be at Harvey Hadden Sports Village at 7:30pm on Friday evenings. All sessions are followed with thorough debriefing and discussion about your performance helping you learn. On successful completion you will be issued with a certificate of completion and a digital recognition rating (via MySSI App).
As with all Divemaster Scuba Freediving Programs
- Certification lasts for life
- All Pool fees are included
- Instructor time is included
- We are committed to your success, if you require more help we are there for you.
Freediving equipment is a very tailored fit. We endeavour to have different sizes available for students to borrow but this is not always possible. See our range of apnea equipment for purchase.