The SSI Basic Freediving program is intended to provide students with the necessary skills and knowledge to safely participate in the recreational sport of freediving (breath-hold diving) with an SSI Dive Professional in a pool/confined water environment. You will earn the SSI Basic Freediving certification after completing this program.
- Minimum Age: 10
- Academic Sessions: Online training, 1 Classroom - 2hr
- Breathing Sessions: 1 x 1hr
- Pool/Confined Water Sessions: 2
- Open Water Dives: None
- Maximum Training Depth: 5 meters / 15 feet
- Suggested Duration: 6 - 8 hours
Summary of program activities:
- Static and dynamic session in the water (no minimum requirement).
- Demonstrate proper breath-up, relaxation, body positioning and surfacing techniques.
- Freedive with a dive line using bi-fins to maximum depth of five meters, focusing on relaxation, duck diving, equalisation, finning and surfacing techniques.
- Perform a surface blackout rescue.
Classes are ran in two options
Option 1 (One Day)
1x 2Hr classroom session and breathing workshop 1x 3 hr pool
Option 2 (Multi Day)
2x 1Hr classroom session and breathing workshop 2x 1.5 hr pool
You will be sent an e-mail allowing access to the SSI online academics. You can use a computer or any digital device to login, update your profile and start the learning process. The multimedia academics with videos and multiple choice questions keep learning fun and ensure you are perfectly prepared for your water sessions.
All sessions are followed with thorough debriefing and discussion about your performance helping you learn. On successful completion you will be issued with a certificate of completion and a digital recognition rating (via MySSI App).
Just want to taste of freediving? Have a look at the Try Freediving Course
As with all Divemaster Scuba Freediving Programs
- Certification lasts for life
- All Pool fees are included
- Instructor time is included
- We are committed to your success, if you require more help we are there for you.
Freediving equipment is a very tailored fit. We endeavour to have different sizes available for students to use during training, but this is not always possible for wetsuits. See our range of apnea equipment.