This program provides the skills and concepts required to safely and comfortably dive without a designated dive buddy. You will learn about self-reliance, proper equipment maintenance, and the special considerations and rescue techniques required to dive independently. You will earn the SSI Independent Diving Specialty certification after completing this program.
- Minimum Age: 18
- Certification Prerequisites: Stress & Rescue certification, certification or proof of experience by showing at least five (5) logged experience dives in Night & Limited Visibility, Navigation, Deep Diving, and have logged at least 75 open water dives totalling 50 hours or more.
- Academic Sessions: Online learning
- Pool/Confined Water Sessions: 1
- Open Water Dives: 2
- Maximum Training Depth: 30m
- Suggested Duration: 10 - 15 hours
You will be sent an E-mail allowing access to the SSI online academics you can use a computer or any digital device to login, update your profile and start the learning process. The multimedia academics with videos and multiple choice questions keep learning fun and ensure you are perfectly prepared for your water sessions.
The open water dives are conducted over one day at Stoney Cove or another location that allows easy safe access to the water. You will complete 2 dives under the guidance of our experienced instructors. We will teach you everything there is to know to dive safely and comfortably in your chosen subject area.
All sessions are followed thorough debriefing and discussion about your performance helping you learn. On successful completion you will be issued with a certificate of completion and a digital recognition rating (via MySSI App).
As with all Divemaster Scuba programs
- Certification lasts for life
- All Kit Hire is included
- All Pool fees are included (if required) but entry to open water sites is not included
- All Air fills are included
- Instructor time is included
- We are committed to your success, if you require more help we are there for you.
Pool sessions are held at Divemaster Scuba on weekday evenings or selected Saturdays.
Open Water sessions are held minimum twice per month on a Sunday. See calendar for details.
As with all of our programs this course can be offered as an exclusive 1 on 1 program.
Note: this is not a solo diving qualification. The purpose of this course is to expand the skills and knowledge of the diver to make a safe dive without the direct assistance of a buddy (e.g. where the buddies are very inexperienced).