Cave Diving will allow penetrations on a single line with basic navigation. You will learn techniques to deal with problems in this most unforgiving of environments. Safety is the number one concern and you will increase confidence by spending hours in the environment with your Cave Instructor. Upon completion you will be certified as: SSI Cave Diving Instructor.
The SSI Cave Diving Instructor Training Course certifies the candidate as a Cave Diving Instructor.
- Be an Open Water Instructor or equivalent.
- Be an Enriched Air Nitrox Instructor or equivalent.
- Be a Deep Diving Instructor or equivalent.
- Be a Diver Stress and Rescue Instructor or equivalent.
- Be a Science of Diving Instructor.
- Be a Cavern Diving Instructor.
- Be certified in Cave Diving.
- Provide their own Extended Range Total Diving System.
- Have logged 75 cave dives.
- Complete the Extended Range Instructor Assessment Form and provide proof of the required teaching and diving experience.
- Open Water Dives: 4 days
- Maximum Training Depth: Divers depth qualification.
- Suggested Duration: 20 hours
Classroom academics session will be held at Divemaster Scuba.
Pool sessions are held at Harvey Hadden Sports Village on a Friday evening at 7:30pm or alternate venues may be discussed.
Open Water training days will be at a local inland diving site.
How it works
You will be given sent an email to view the course materials on www.divessi.com to start your academic development. We will schedule 1 day to complete the first part of the academic development. The Pool session will contain the swim test and development of trim, buoyancy and propulsion. 3 days of Open Water will be the bulk of the program, with further a academic development session to be scheduled. Thorough de-briefing and feedback will be given at the end of each day.
Course content will cover:
A review of all XR Standards and all SSI Dive Center/Resort Standards.
A dive planning session.
A pool/confined water session that includes the presentation and the evaluation of all water skills required in the Cave Diving program. All skills must be to demonstration standard.
While acting as an instructor, plan and conduct at least two dives from the Cave Diving program. During the dive, the candidate will supervise an assistant or another instructor candidate acting as the student during the training dive. Demonstrate the ability to rescue an unconscious diver by traveling horizontally for the 10 meters, then bringing the diver to the surface from a depth of between 5m and 10m, establishing positive buoyancy, evaluating the diver’s status, removing all equipment and removing the diver from the water. (Assistance may be used ONLY for the handling of equipment once it is removed from the diver) This skill must be completed proficiently and without unnecessary time delays depending upon the conditions present at the rescue site.
Complete an appropriate equipment assembly workshop.
Complete the water skills evaluation as outlined in the General Standards.
Complete the Cave Diving Instructor final exam with a passing score of 90%.
To complete the qualification one of the following criteria must be met:
Issue four or more Cavern Diving certifications.
Co-teach at least two complete Cave Diving programs with an active status Cave Diving Instructor Trainer and provide recommendation letters completed and signed by the Instructor Trainer for each class assisted. Co-teaching activities must take place after completion of the Cave Diving Instructor exam and prior to certification as a Cave Diving Instructor.
As with all Divemaster Scuba XR Programs
- Certification lasts for life
- All Learning Materials are included
- All Pool fees are included (if required) but entry to open water sites is not included
- All consumables are extra.
- We are committed to your success, if you require more help we are there for you.
Active status Cave Diving Instructors may teach, supervise and issue certifications for the following programs:
XR Cavern Diving Cave Diving