The SSI Extended Range program qualifies divers to dive to a depth of 45 meters / 145 feet using nitrox mixtures of up to 100% while wearing a complete Extended Range Total Diving System, appropriate for a single gas switch, accelerated decompression diving. Upon completion, you will be certified as follows: SSI Extended Range (with or without Trimix) Instructor.
The SSI Extended Range Instructor Training Course certifies the candidate as an Extended Range Instructor with or without trimix
Be an Advanced Open Water Instructor or equivalent.
- Be an Enriched Air Nitrox Instructor or equivalent.
- Be a Deep Diving Instructor or equivalent.
- Be a Diver Stress and Rescue Instructor or equivalent.
- Have certified three Enriched Air Nitrox 40 Divers or equivalent.
- Be a Science of Diving Instructor - The Science of Diving Instructor program may be completed in conjunction with the XR Extended Range Instructor Course.
- Have logged at least 20 dives deeper than 30m. Hold an Extended Range certification or higher.
- Hold an Extended Range Trimix certification (for Extended Range Trimix Instructor).
- Provide their own Extended Range Total Diving System.
- Complete the Extended Range Instructor Assessment Form and provide proof of the required teaching and diving experience.
- Open Water Dives: 3 days
- Maximum Training Depth: 45 meters
- Suggested Duration: 16 hours
Classroom academics session will be held at Divemaster Scuba.
Pool sessions are held at Harvey Hadden Sports Village on a Friday evening at 7:30pm or alternate venues may be discussed.
Open Water training days will be at a local inland diving site.
How it works
You will be sent an email to view the course materials on www.divessi.com to start your academic development. We will schedule 1 day to complete the first part of the academic development. The Pool session will contain the swim test and development of trim, buoyancy and propulsion. 2 days of Open Water will be the bulk of the program, with further academic development session to be scheduled. Thorough de-briefing and feedback will be given at the end of each day.
Course content will cover:
- A review of all XR Standards and all SSI Dive Center/Resort Standards.
- Complete the applicable final exams (Extended Range Trimix Instructor and/or Extended Range Instructor) with a passing score of 90%.
- Complete the XR Water Fitness Evaluation.
- Complete an appropriate equipment assembly workshop.
- A dive planning session for orientation to the Extended Range Dive Planning Sheets.
- A confined water session that includes the presentation and the evaluation of all water skills required in the Extended Range program. All skills must be to demonstration standard.
- While acting as an instructor, plan and conduct at least one full decompression dive from the Extended Range program to a depth of at least 40m, with a maximum of 15 minutes of planned staged decompression time, and at least one gas switch.
- During the dive, the candidate will supervise an assistant or another instructor candidate acting as the student during the training dive.
- Demonstrate the ability to rescue an unconscious diver by bringing the diver to the surface from a depth of between 5m and 10m.
As with all Divemaster Scuba XR Programs
- Certification lasts for life
- We can rent you kit but the benefit from this course comes by configuring your own equipment.
- All Learning Materials are included
- All Pool fees are included
- All consumables are extra.
- We are committed to your success - if you require more help we are there for you.
Active status Extended Range Instructors may teach, supervise and issue certifications for the following programs:
Extended Range Foundations
Extended Range Nitrox Diving
Extended Range, with or without trimix as per certification