This is the pinnacle of technical diving. Here you will use all the knowledge, skills, equipment and experience from all of your previous training and push your limits to the extreme. There are two pathways; one takes you to 80 meters / 265 feet and the other to 100 meters / 330 feet using the same full Extended Range Total Diving System you mastered in previous programs. However, you will now use a minimum of three stages for decompression and travel gases. Upon completion you will be certified as an SSI Hypoxic Trimix Instructor.
The SSI Hypoxic Trimix Instructor Training Course certifies the candidate as a Hypoxic Trimix Instructor.
- Be an Advanced Open Water Diver Instructor or equivalent. Be an Enriched Air Nitrox Instructor or equivalent.
- Be a Deep Diving Instructor or equivalent.
- Be a Diver Stress and Rescue Instructor or equivalent.
- Be a Science of Diving Instructor.
- Be a Technical Extended R ange Instructor.
- Have logged at least 250 dives, including at least 30 decompression dives deeper than 50 meters, and a minimum of ten (10) dives with at least 30 minutes of staged decompression requiring at least three (3) gas switches.
- Have logged 30 trimix dives.
- Hold a Hypoxic Trimix certification.
- Provide their own Extended Range Total Diving System.
- Complete the Extended Range Instructor Assessment Form and provide proof of the required teaching and diving experience.
- Open Water Dives: 5 days
- Maximum Training Depth: 80/100 meters
- Suggested Duration: 18 hours
The classroom academics session and pool sessions and will be held at Divemaster Scuba.
Open Water training days will be at a local inland diving site.
How it works
You will be given sent an email to view the course materials on www.divessi.com to start your academic development. We will schedule 1 day to complete the first part of the academic development. The Pool session will contain the swim test and development of trim, buoyancy and propulsion. 2 days of Open Water will be the bulk of the program, with further a academic development session to be scheduled. Thorough de-briefing and feedback will be given at the end of each day.
Course content will cover:
A review of all XR Standards and all SSI Dive Center/Resort Standards.
Complete the Hypoxic Trimix Instructor final exam with a passing score of 90%.
A dive planning session for orientation to the Extended Range Dive Planning Sheets.
Complete the XR Water Fitness Evaluation.
Complete an appropriate equipment assembly workshop.
A confined water session that includes the presentation and the evaluation of all water skills required in the Hypoxic Trimix program. All skills must be to demonstration standard while wearing a minimum of three stages.
While acting as an instructor, plan and conduct at least one dive from the Hypoxic Trimix program. The dive will be a full-decompression dive at a depth of at least 80 meters, with at least 30 minutes of planned staged decompression time and at least two gas switches. During the dive, the candidate will supervise an assistant or another instructor candidate acting as the student during the training dive.
Demonstrate the ability to rescue an unconscious diver by bringing the diver to the surface from a depth of between 5m and 10m.
To complete the qualification one of the following criteria must be met:
Certify ten or more divers in Technical Extended Range. OR
Co-teach at least two complete Hypoxic Trimix programs with an active status Hypoxic Trimix Instructor Trainer and provide recommendation letters completed and signed by the Instructor Trainer for each class assisted.
Co-teaching activities must take place after completion of the Hypoxic Trimix Instructor exam and prior to certification as a Hypoxic Trimix Instructor.
As with all Divemaster Scuba XR Programs
- Certification lasts for life
- All Learning Materials are included
- All Pool fees are included (if required) but entry to open water sites is not included
- All consumables are extra
- We are committed to your success, if you require more help we are there for you
After certification, active status Hypoxic Trimix Instructors may teach, supervise and issue certifications for the following programs:
- Extended Range Foundations
- Extended R ange Nitrox Diving
- Extended Range, with or without trimix as per certification
- Technical Extended Range, with or without trimix as per certification Hypoxic Trimix
Dive professional registration and course learning fees are payable to direct SSI.
Physical materials for the course are available through the dive centre:
Candidates must have the Extended Range Instructor package for this course. The SSI Base Package and the SSI Instructor Base Package is also available to candidates who would like to update their instructor materials to the latest version of the package.